
Union Arch Bridge
(Cabin John Bridge, Cabin John Aqueduct Bridge)
NBI Information
Location
State: Maryland
County: Montgomery County
Feature Carried: Macarthur Boulevard
Feature Crossed: Cabin John Creek
Latitude, Longitude: 38.9728,-77.1486
Toll: On free road
Maintenance Responsibility: Corps of Engineers (Civil)
Structure Open, Posted, or Closed to Traffic: Posted for load (may include other restrictions such as temporary bridges which are load posted)
History
Year Built: 1863
Historical Significance: Bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Year Reconstructed: 2001
Picture Date: March 28, 2023
Geometry
Lanes on Structure: 1
Lanes under Structure: 4
Skew: 0 degrees
Number of Main Spans: 1
Main Structure Type: Arch - Deck
Main Structure Material: Masonry
Number of Approach Spans: 5
Approach Structure Type: Arch - Deck
Approach Structure Material: Masonry
Condition
Inspection Date: May 2022
Deck Condition: Satisfactory
Superstructure Condition: Good
Substructure Condition: Good
Channel Condition: Good
Culvert: Not Applicable
NBI Year: 2023
Bridge Information
The Union Arch Bridge, also called the Cabin John Bridge and the Cabin John Aqueduct, was constructed from 1857 to 1864 as part of the Washington Aqueduct. It was the longest span stone masonry arch in the world at that point, and it held that record until 1903. It is still the 33rd longest in the world, and the longest in the United States. The Union Arch Bridge is also still an active part of the Washington Aqueduct.
The bridge was originally designed and built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers as an aqueduct to bring drinking water from Great Falls, Maryland to Washington D.C. The main arch ring is built of cut and dressed granite, and the secondary arch ring is radially laid sandstone. The facade is also constructed from ashlar sandstone and hides the main structure of the bridge. There are five spandrel aches along the west approach, and four spandrel arches along the east approach. These spandrel arches transmit the load to the main arch, and the space between them is actually hollow!
The site of this arch created many challenges during construction. The right-of-way for the aqueduct was very narrow, making overland transport very difficult. Therefore, the creek was dammed, and a lock was built to connect the flooded valley to the nearby C & O canal. Barges were used to transport the massive arch ring stones from the quarry to the bridge site.
The bridge was built to carry the aqueduct, not traffic. It originally did not have a parapet or any safety measures, but people began using the bridge to reach the nearby town of Cabin John. A parapet was added in 1872, and daredevils would ride bicycles across the top of it. In 2001, the roadway was renovated due to vehicles damaging the unreinforced stone parapet. A concrete curb and wrought iron railings were added, as well as a concrete barrier between the pedestrians and traffic. The Capital Beltway was constructed under the Union Arch Bridge in the 1960s, but it did not require any modifications to the bridge.
References
ASCE: https://www.asce.org/about-civil-engineering/history-and-heritage/historic-landmarks/cabin-john-aqueduct
Kokosing: https://www.kokosing.biz/projects/cabin-john-bridge/
National Achieves Catalogue: https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorage/lz/electronic-records/rg-079/NPS_MD/73000932.pdf





