NBI Information

Location

State: Maryland

County: Baltimore County

Feature Carried: Vinegar Hill Road

Feature Crossed: Little Gunpowder Falls

Latitude, Longitude: 39.4472,-76.3812

Toll: On free road

Maintenance Responsibility: County Highway Agency

Structure Open, Posted, or Closed to Traffic: Posted for load (may include other restrictions such as temporary bridges which are load posted)

History

Year Built: 1894

Historical Significance: Bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.

Year Reconstructed: 2000

Picture Date: May 6, 2023

Geometry

Lanes on Structure: 1

Lanes under Structure: 0

Skew: 0 degrees

Number of Main Spans: 1

Main Structure Type: Truss - Thru

Main Structure Material: Aluminum, Wrought Iron, or Cast Iron

Number of Approach Spans: 0

Approach Structure Type: None

Approach Structure Material: None

Condition

Inspection Date: April 2021

Deck Condition: Satisfactory

Superstructure Condition: Satisfactory

Substructure Condition: Good

Channel Condition: Good

Culvert: Not Applicable

NBI Year: 2023

Bridge Information

The Guilford Quarry Railroad Bridge is a pin-connected Pratt through truss that was built in 1902. It was constructed as part of a project to extend the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad from Savage, Maryland to the quarry in Gilford, Maryland.

This bridge is an unusual example of a skewed truss bridge, meaning that it does not cross the river at a right angle. Instead, it has a 35-degree skew with inclined end-posts. Skews were uncommon due to the added engineering and construction difficulties. In addition, this bridge is a late example of a pin-connected truss. Pin connected trusses were common in the 1880’s and 1890’s, but by 1900, most trusses used riveted connections. These connections were more rigid and allowed for heavier loads. There is some indication that this bridge was actually constructed in the late 19th century and was moved to this site in 1902, which would line up more with the typical practices of the time.

The bridge carried freight into the 1930’s and was abandoned for railroad use by 1940. At some point in the 1950s, a deck was added to accommodate vehicular traffic. It was later abandoned land the deck was removed (date unknown). The bridge was neglected and soon became overgrown with vines and was covered in graffiti.

In 2002, the bridge was rescued and rehabilitated by the Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks. It is now part of the Patuxent Branch Trail.

References

  • Historic Bridges: https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=maryland/guilfordpratttruss/

  • Maryland Historic Trust: https://apps.mht.maryland.gov/nr/NRDetail.aspx?NRID=1710&COUNTY=Howard&FROM=NRCountyList.aspx

  • Howard County MD: https://data.howardcountymd.gov/scannedpdf/Historic_Sites/HO-349.pdf

Previous
Previous

Guilford Quarry Railroad Bridge