Washington Bridge

(Devon Bridge, Moses Wheeler Bridge)

NBI Information

Location

State: Connecticut

County: New Haven County

Feature Carried: US-1

Feature Crossed: Housatonic River

Latitude, Longitude: 41.2003,-73.1105

Toll: On free road

Maintenance Responsibility: State Highway Agency

Structure Open, Posted, or Closed to Traffic: Open, no restriction

History

Year Built: 1921

Historical Significance: Bridge is possibly eligible for the National Register of Historic Places (requires further investigation before determination can be made) or bridge is on a State or local  historic register.

Year Reconstructed: 2006

Picture Date: April 23, 2023

Geometry

Lanes on Structure: 4

Lanes under Structure: 0

Skew: 0 degrees

Number of Main Spans: 1

Main Structure Type: Movable - Bascule

Main Structure Material: Steel

Number of Approach Spans: 9

Approach Structure Type: Arch - Deck

Approach Structure Material: Concrete

Condition

Inspection Date: October 2020

Deck Condition: Poor

Superstructure Condition: Poor

Substructure Condition: Fair

Channel Condition: Fair

Culvert: Not Applicable

NBI Year: 2023

Bridge Information

The Washington Bridge, also known as the Devon Bridge and the Moses Wheeler Bridge, carries US Route 1 over the Housatonic River in Connecticut. This bridge is a steel trunnion-bearing Bascule Drawbridge, and it was built in 1921. This bridge was the largest and most expensive ($1.5 million) project that the state highway department had ever done at that point. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.

This bridge is highly unusual, because it combines open-spandrel arches with a double-leaf bascule. The leaves of the deck-girder bascule are arched to be aesthetically compatible with the fixed spans and this gives the bridge an elegant appearance. Each of the arches consists of six parallel ribs, which support the columns that rise to support the floor beams for the roadway. There are two small tile roofed brick buildings along the span. These originally served as the operator’s house and a public comfort station, although they are now closed.

Prior to this bridge, there was a narrow swing bridge at this site. When the Connecticut Highway Department was given authority over major bridges in 1915, they immediately began planning to replace that bridge. However, completion was delayed until 1921 due to the shortages of steel associated with World War I.

The bridge was originally laid out to carry two lanes of traffic and two tracks for streetcar traffic. In 1935, the bridge was renovated to remove the streetcar apparatus and increase the number of travel lanes from two to four. It was renovated again in 1989, including repaving and updates to the parapet and railing. In 2007, there was a major rehabilitation to the bascule span, including the addition of fiberglass fenders, installation of a generator, installation of a new bridge control system and a complete overhaul to the mechanical systems.

The bridge is currently undergoing another rehabilitation project. This project includes a full replacement of the bascule span.

References

  • Historic Bridges: https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=connecticut/washingtonbridgemilford/

  • Legacy AHS: https://legacy.ahs-inc.com/open-spandrel/milford.htm

Previous
Previous

Saugatuck River Bridge (William F. Cribari Memorial Bridge)